I enjoy cooking for my family when I have time. However, finding the right recipe can be difficult sometimes. Within the past ten years, I have developed an allergy to pork. It is a weird allergy, I know.
It has made old fashion Southern cooking quite dangerous for me. No bacon fat, ham hock, or lard for me anymore. I have to stay away from green vegetables and chowders cooked in restaurants because those are such common ingredients.
However, my doctor said it would keep my cholesterol low, and it has. Therefore, no little piggies need to recruit a writing spider on my account. 🙂
Finding the right turkey bacon has also been challenging because it is not the same as regular delicious bacon. It also does not crumble after it is cooked, so it is best to chop it into small pieces and cook it that way. I add a little extra virgin olive oil to make sure it won’t stick to the pan.
This recipe was modified from a recipe by 31 Daily. Of course, I substituted the regular bacon with turkey bacon, but I also like to try different cheeses. Typically, I use an extra sharp cheddar as my main cheese because it adds additional flavor to the dish. If I am running low on parmesan, I will substitute provolone or swiss. I also leave the scallions out because they are not a family favorite.
I hope you will try it and let me know what you think. It goes great with a fresh salad. You can also make two and share one with a neighbor or friend. To happy moments in the kitchen!
Simple Turkey Bacon and Spinach Quiche
- Refrigerated/frozen* store-bought pie crust (*Thaw overnight in the refrigerator)
- 1 cup milk
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices of turkey bacon, chopped and cooked
- 1 cup of grated cheddar (mild or sharp)
- 1/4 cup of the second type of grated cheese (parmesan, swiss, asiago, or provolone)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
- Preheat over to 425oF. Line a 9-inch pie plate with store-bought pie crust and crimp the edges. (Frozen pie crust comes in a disposable pie pan.)
- Whisk eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Layer cooked turkey bacon, cheeses, and spinach in the crust-lined pie pan. Pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the oven at 425oF. Reduce the oven temperature to 325oF and continue to bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before cutting the quiche into wedges.
Thank you and enjoy!